Runners are not the only athletes whose IT Bands need extra love and care. The students at POW! Gym Chicago cross-train in a wide range of classes from boxing to muay thai to krav maga. Their time training in the combat sports is supported by a full strength, speed and conditioning program. Although the diversity in training is an excellent way to reach goals, good shoes and mobility training can help to prevent injuries to the IT band.
The right shoes are a simple way to mitigate injuries. Regardless of the type of exercise, the right shoe can help reinforce proper movement mechanics. It is common for the IT band to suffer extreme tightness. You can also add 1-2 exercises daily to prevent injuries. The IT Band serves to support the leg and helps the knee joint to stabilize. It originates at the hip and ends at the knee joint.
The exercises in this video will help prevent injury and manage the care of your IT band. The truth is that most people do not get enough flexibility training to prevent tightening of the IT Band.
- Iliotibial band syndrome is an overuse injury of tissues of the outer thigh and knee.
- The iliotibial band runs along the lateral or outside aspect of the thigh and is an important structure that stabilizes the outside of the knee as it flexes and extends.
- Inflammation of the IT band can occur as it crosses back and forth across the bony prominence of the femoral epicondyle as the knee flexes and extends.
- Iliotibial band syndrome is an overuse injury causing pain on the outside part of the knee especially during running when the heel strikes the ground.
- RICE and anti-inflammatory medications are first-line treatments.
- Physical therapy may be helpful and, rarely, surgery is an option for those who fail to respond to first-line treatment options.
- Prevention is a key component and includes maintaining flexibility of the low back and leg muscles.
Taken from Medicinenet.com
5 Shoes to Help with IT Band Syndrome.
- Asics Gel Kayono 23
- New Balance 890v5
- Puma Faas 600 V3
- New Balance 1080v7
- Saucony Hurricane 16